Monday, July 6, 2009

Weekend Update

This photo has nothing to do with food and nothing to do with my weekend ... but it does contain a chipmunk. Mrs. Chipmunk, I believe, she and her husband live here in the drain pipe at the back of Mama and Papa Diva's house. Isn't she sweet? Papa Diva takes very good care of them too, he feeds them cracked corn. Life is good in the burbs.

And life was very good here in the city this weekend too ... though, oddly enough, that life didn't include any cooking on my part. We hit the beach on Friday - Lido Beach on Long Island, to be exact. It was spectacular, though I did burn the hell out of my shins. Don't ask me why or how. I guess I was too busy frolicking to carefully apply sunscreen. Ouch!

After a day of fun in the sun, we hit The Buoy Bar in Point Lookout and sipped on some delicious margaritas while watching the sun set from their deck. It was so lovely I never wanted to leave ... and we may, in fact, return this weekend if the weather looks good.

On Saturday night, we popped into the recently opened Gus & Gabriel, for a truly delicious meal. Owned and operated by Chef Michale Psilakis of Kefi fame, Gus & Gabriel is an American-style gastropub featuring foods designed to appeal to the kid in all of us. What does that mean? It means you're going to want to order every single thing on the menu. I'll be writing a full review at some point, but suffice it to say the meal was extraordinary. You can view most of the menu here, though, sadly, that link does not include the dessert offerings ... and they were spectacular.

The husband chose the peanut butter and jelly cupcake, which was a very grown-up cupcake indeed. A rich, peanut butter cake, filled with homemade strawberry jam and topped with the most outrageously decadent peanut butter frosting. Wow! As if that weren't enough, my friend and I split the "Chipwhich and Shake" combo ... and, honestly, it left me breathless. The "chipwich" in question boasted a deeply flavored caramel ice cream pressed between two decadently rich, dark chocolate cookies. ~swoon~ Its partner in crime was a luscious vanilla shake that had been spiked with a shot of Jim Beam. Are you kidding me?! Why didn't *I* think of that first?! Honestly, it was amazing.

I have a lot more to say about Gus & Gabriel, but it will have to wait for another visit ... a visit wherein I remember to tote along my camera, for instance. :)

After that lovely feast, we repaired to Chez Diva, mixed up a batch of spiked blueberry lemonade, then hit the roof of my building to watch the fireworks. They were wonderful as always, and made so much better this time for the lack of crowds and the private party.

We capped off the weekend on Sunday with a trip to the stadium to watch the Yankees beat the Jays. Needless to say, its time to get back on track. I hit the pool this morning ... hard ... and now I'm off to the kitchen to create some culinary magic of the dietetic sort. Expect a healthy recipe tomorrow ... heaven knows I need it, I've got to fit back into that bathing suit come Saturday!

So, how did you spend the holiday weekend? Curious Diva wants to know.

Bon appetit!

7 comments:

words...words...words... said...

That chipmunk is adorable. I should give it a cameo in my movie!

Those desserts sound amazing. The shake with liquor in it reminded me of the 50s diner scene in Pulp Fiction. I wonder if that's where they got the inspiration?

Unknown said...

Chipmunk is so cute! I wish I could have been in florida to see the fireworks. That would have been fun. Here in england we dont do 4th of july (of course--as americans are celebrating their independence from england), but on the fun side i did to mini golf and got to eat at a nice restaurant. Your day sounded awesome... especially the cupcake part.

The Duo Dishes said...

It's like having a pet in the backyard. :) The chipwich combo sounds so good! Are they serious? That's intensely good.

pixelgal said...

We left the chipmunk...and the bunnies and the birds to drive upstate NY to lake Oneida. The weather was very cool--cold even--but sunny most of the time. We ate out at local restaurants in Bridgeport, NY and saw the Erie canal. Best of all my great cousins and husbands spoiled us rotten and we can't wait to return the favor. I rediscovered salt potatoes, which I had once but can't get here in CT. I took some home and will try them on my own. So delicious and non-diet. But I'm back on it today and will save the potatoes for a special event.

Deb said...

Funny my weekend included some chipmunks also at my friends in Peachtree City Ga - a lovely city with 90 miles of golf cart paths - it's how everyone gets around. We cooked and walked and watched fireworks in her back yard - so close the debvris from them was in her pool in the morning. A spectacular weekend indeed with absolutley beautiful weather and company.

Anonymous said...

Aww, what a cute chipmunk! Sounds like you had a great weekend! We took our daughter to an old fashioned celebration at a local park with free pony rides and a reptile show - lots of family fun :)

The Diva on a Diet said...

words words words - careful, or someone might steal that chipmunk idea. ;) LOL Interesting about the Pulp Fiction connection ... hadn't considered that but its possible!

HH - I love mini golf! That's entirely appropriate for the 4th even if you're on that side of the pond. :)

Duo - It was intensely good! I haven't stopped thinking about it since. LOL

Pixelgal - aw, sounds like you had a great weekend. I'm so glad!! And the weather was truly beautiful. Not surprised to hear it was cold up there ... it was chilly here too on Saturday night. Mmmm, salt potatoes! Save me some!!

Deb - chipmunks for everyone! LOL Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday as well. Nothing like good food and good friends to start the summer off right. :)

5 Star - aw, I love those old fashioned community events. What a perfect way to spend the day!