Friday, June 5, 2009

Thirsty Thursdays: Friday Edition

Blueberries. I've still got them on the brain ... and in my fridge. My solution? Blueberry Margaritas!

Divalicious Blueberry Margarita:
  • 2 oz. fresh blueberry puree
  • 2 oz. good quality tequila
  • 1 oz. Cointreau
  • juice of 1/2 lime
For the blueberry puree:

Pour one pint of rinsed fresh blueberries into a blender. Puree on high until liquefied and smooth. Taste for sweetness, adding 1 tsp. of agave nectar or some sugar if desired, puree again until combined. (Since its not quite blueberry season, I did add a tsp. of agave nectar to my puree.)

For the Margarita:

Fill a martini shaker with ice and to it add the blueberry puree, tequila, Cointreau and lime juice. Shake well and strain into an ice filled tumbler. Garnish with a slice of lime or salt the rim of the glass, if desired.

To salt the rim, run a wedge of lime around the rim of the glass and dip the rim into a dish of Kosher salt.

As written this recipe will make one delicious cocktail! Serve and enjoy, repeat as necessary!

I somehow doubt I've invented this lovely little cocktail, its just too good to be new. The blueberry/tequila combination is fabulous! If you're a stickler for detail, I suppose you could strain that blueberry puree to rid it of the darker bits of peel ... but why bother? I prefer to leave the puree as is, so it obvious the drink has been made with fresh fruit. Do as you see fit.

Either way, you'll be rewarded with a stunning, purple-hued beverage that goes down smooth. It tastes every bit as good as it looks and, in my book at least, counts as a serving of fruit for the day!

In other blueberry news, my friend The Wino - of Spot O Wine - has put my blueberry syrup to brilliant use in creating a scrumptious summer salad. She used the syrup as the base for a delicious Blueberry Clementine Vinaigrette that I cannot wait to try. Surf on over and take a look ... she'll make you hungry, I promise!

So, what's your favorite Margarita flavor? Are you an on the rocks purist, or a frozen strawberry quaff-er? Thirsty Diva wants to know.

Bon appetit!

22 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi Diva! What a great looking cocktail! I l-o-v-e margaritas on the rocks, with salt. Your blueberry margarita looks so great and yet... healthy! Nothing wrong with mixing booze with antioxidants ;)

Jescel said...

i'm a frozen strawberry gal, but this blueberry i'm willing to try. it looks yum and refreshing.

The Wino said...

Good call! I had given up margaritas, but this sounds like a good one! I still have syup, on the rocks...Tequilla here I come!Thanks you for the mention!

Tangled Noodle said...

This is so on drink menu tonight! I fussed at Mr. Noodle because he nearly finished the Cointreau the other night. I'm taking the last shot for myself and this blueberry baby! Okay, since he did make me that pink cocktail last week, I'll share . . .

Oh! And thank you soooo much for the followfriday tweet shout-out! I'm such a Twitter newborn . . .

Tangled Noodle said...

I almost forgot: the hubs is a purist - no mixes (which he calls 'lemonade') or short cuts. It's Cointreau, Patron and fresh citrus on the rocks, or it's a pretender!
As for me, I love his margaritas but I would never turn down a frosty frozen marg, the fruitier the better! 8-)

Jill said...

I don't like overly sweet cocktails...so my favorite margarita is a Chile Rita. I get hem at La Posta in Las Cruces, NM. They use a sauce called Besito Caliente in them. It has berries and habanero chilis in them. My husband is a pussy and can't drink them, but don't tell him I said that!

Jill said...

I'm going to post the recipe and link to you tomorrow.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Tracy - exactly ... with all the antioxidants ... its a health drink! ;)

Jescel - you could easily turn the blueberry marg into a frozen one too. Win/win perhaps!

Wino - Thank *you* for the mention!! I'll be the blueberry syrup would work just as well for the drink ... let me know how it goes!

Tangled Noodle - I'm usually a purist myself ... but fresh berries are OK since its not a mix. Enjoy it! I'm still pretty newborn on Twitter too ... but you're most welcome my friend! :)

Jill - funny you should mention the spicy berry margarita ... I was going to do one today but did not have a habanero on hand. Would love to see your recipe because I will be doing a chili infused drink too at some point soon. Love them!!!! Thank you! :)

Unknown said...

What a fab color! I noticed that there is a lot of happy hour going on at chez diva. U must b one happy girly :D. Have a wonderfull (and happy) weekend!

The Diva on a Diet said...

HH - I do try to go through life happy! ;) And Friday's are the prefect excuse for happy hour. Cheers and enjoy your weekend too!

Jill said...

My recipe is for lazy chicks! I'm not infusing anything but my veins!

WendyB said...

That looks delicious!

Christo Gonzales said...

you know I am not that far away that you cant let me sample these...

Anonymous said...

Blueberry margaritas are perfect right now when blueberries are just in season! Love this!

Daily Spud said...

Hey Diva, I'm playing catchup (yep, that's catchup and not ketchup :) ) with my blog reading and first thing I see on Diva's blog is this tasty number. I can see that I need to go and get me some cointreau post haste...

Astra Libris said...

Mmmm, blueberry margaritas... *dreamy sigh* Could you send one my way via blog land, pretty please? :-)

Lola said...

Wow that looks good! And I do love blueberries.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Jill - just read your recipe and it looks delicious! Need to get summa dat hot sauce, post haste.

Wendy - thank you! And I must say your jewelry is truly delicious. I've bookmarked ... my birthday is coming up. ;)

doggybloggy - you're right and I will!

5 Star - thanks! Don't you just love blueberry season?! I want to put them in *everything*.

Daily Spud - thank you! And, yes, you need one of these - maybe even two. ;) By the way, other than vodka, is there a spud themed drink we should know about? LOL

Astra - I'll trade you one of these for one of your pb brownies. Deal? :)

Lola - thanks and welcome! Off to check out your blog. :)

Deb said...

Fruity margaritas should always be served frozen but I am a classic margarita, rocks no salt kind of girl. If I'm going fruity - strawberry or raspberry works for me.

kiss my spatula said...

what an excellent idea! thanks for sharing!

The Food Addicts said...

you've inspired me to make cocktails! what a great way to be creative with alcohol!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Deb - its funny, I used to prefer frozen margs ... but as I've aged I've moved into the rocks category. I like them so much better this way.

kiss my spatula - Welcome! What a great name for a blog ... can't wait to check it out and thanks for dropping by.

The Food Addicts - Welcome! And thank you so much for the lovely comment. Looking forward to checking out your blog and, hopefully, reading about your cocktail creations! Always happy to inspire. :)